Fast Facts

Community Survey

During the 2022 community survey, satisfaction ratings showed respondents are satisfied to very satisfied with several areas within our district. Click here (PDF) to view the most recent community survey results.

  • The overall quality of fire and EMS service - 95%
  • The overall quality of local fire protection - 96% 
  • The quality of emergency medical services - 94%
  • How quickly firefighters respond to emergencies - 93%
  • How quickly EMS respond to emergencies - 93%

Why do fire trucks show up when I call the ambulance?

JGMFD responded to over 3,800 calls for service in 2022 and approximately 79% of those calls for service were what we categorize as emergency medical services (EMS) calls. The remaining 21% of the calls were for fires, alarms, and other emergencies where the public was in danger or needed assistance. 

JGMFD is often asked why when an ambulance is requested for a medical emergency, a fire truck comes as well. This is primarily a function of how ambulances and fire trucks are staffed by the JGMFD. Ambulances are staffed with two personnel and fire trucks are staffed with three personnel. By utilizing the crew on the fire truck at a medical scene, we are able to provide the highest level of care and reduce on-scene times so that we can transport the patient to the hospital in the shortest amount of time. Below are several factors that are used in deciding which calls require a fire truck to respond along with an ambulance:

  • Often times extra assistance is needed to lift patients and move them to the ambulance. This extra help increases safety for the patient and our crews.
  • Due to our distribution of fire stations, the units staffed at each station, and the sequence of calls for service, a fire truck may be the first unit to arrive. Our fire trucks are equipped with advanced life support equipment and staffing. This gives us the same capabilities as an ambulance to provide the same level of care before the ambulance arrives to transport the patient.
  • Specific calls such as heart attacks, strokes, CPRs, and difficulty breathing require more than two personnel to stabilize the patient and situation prior to transporting the patient. 

Open Burning

During the warm weather months, many people choose to dispose of yard waste by burning it. In both of the communities the JGMFD protects, this practice is prohibited. 

Residents may, however, choose to burn sticks and logs without leaves attached in a campfire ring or outdoor fireplace for their enjoyment. These are considered recreational fires and are allowed. We do ask that people follow a few safety rules to ensure the safe enjoyment of this activity:

  • Have a plan and means to extinguish the fire should it get out of control.
  • Keep open burning at least 15 feet from buildings and fences.
  • Be mindful of the wind speed and direction.
  • Let ashes cool completely before disposing of them. This may take one or more days depending on the number of ashes present.